Our Products Your Life
At Canexus, we safely produce chemicals for products that people use in their homes and lives every day.
Our chemicals are found in products such as paper, steel, oil and plastic. They are a part of the building materials and furnishings in your homes. They enhance your life through necessities such as disinfected drinking water and prescription medication. And they help protect our environment by reducing the impact of other industries.
Did You Know?
- The paper you read and write on every day is produced and bleached using caustic soda and sodium chlorate.
- More than 90% of all pharmaceuticals – prescription and over-the-counter – contain or are manufactured using chlorine.
- Today some 25% of all medical devices are made from polyvinyl chloride – a chlorine-based plastic.
- Safe, chlorinated water has played a key role in the virtual elimination of cholera, typhoid fever, dysentery and gastroenteritis, as well as many other waterborne diseases that once killed tens of thousands of people.
- Pulp bleaching based on sodium chlorate has virtually eliminated the discharge of dioxins from pulp & paper effluents.
Learn More About Our Products
Canexus is a leading global supplier of sodium chlorate with production facilities on two continents and sales in North America, South America and Asia.
Sodium chlorate is largely used by the pulp & paper industry to bleach wood pulp. Pulp mills convert sodium chlorate into chlorine dioxide – a more environmentally friendly bleaching agent.
After bleaching, pulp is used to produce printing and writing papers and various types of packaging for food products and consumer goods. Most of the white papers used in home and office applications today contain pulp bleached with a process using sodium chlorate.
Other applications for sodium chlorate include mining and agriculture.
Chlorine is used in the manufacturing of thousands of products we depend on every day. Canexus is an important supplier of chlorine throughout western North America and our chlorine is used largely in the water treatment industry. Canexus supplies chlorine to several municipalities to disinfect water supplies, ensure safe drinking water, and for the clean-up of waste waters.
Chlorine is also an important component in the production of various plastics. The most important plastic derived from chlorine is PVC (polyvinylchloride). PVC is widely used in applications such as home construction (plumbing & water pipes, flooring), clothing, furniture, and automobile production (dashboard panels).
Canexus has been a key regional supplier of caustic soda in Western Canada and the US Pacific Northwest since 1957. Canexus supplies caustic soda to pulp & paper mills, oil refineries and chemical plants.
Most of our caustic soda is used in the pulp & paper industry to digest wood to make wood pulp. Caustic is also used in the bleaching process to neutralize bleached pulp and to extract colour residues from the bleached pulp. Bleached pulp is subsequently used in the production of printing & writing papers and packaging for food and consumer goods.
Caustic soda is also used in oil refineries to scrub stack emissions in pollution abatement applications. Canexus also supplies other users such as steel producers, chemical plants and bleach producers.
Canexus produces hydrochloric acid by combining chlorine and hydrogen. Our North American facility is ideally located to serve the oil & gas market, local steel producers and various chemical producers & distributors in Western Canada and the U.S. Pacific Northwest. Below are various uses:
- Steel Industry – used to clean (or “pickle”) the steel to remove scale building prior to further processing.
- Chemical Industry – used to produce water treatment chemicals such as poly-aluminum chloride and ferric chloride, and in the preparation of sodium chlorate.
- Oil and Gas Industry – used to help increase the production rate of oil wells and to separate water from oil after extraction of oil sands.